Williamsburg, PA is a borough in Blair County, Pennsylvania, United States. Williamsburg is located along Pennsylvania Route 866, approximately fifteen miles from Altoona to the west and thirteen miles from Huntingdon to the east.
Williamsburg Borough, one of the oldest boroughs in Blair County, was founded in 1790 by Jacob Ake. Williamsburg was originally called Aketown after it's founder Jacob Ake. Jacob Ake established the first free school in the area. He donated the land, erected the building, hired the teachers and when the neighborhood children failed to attend school, he acted as a truant officer. In 1810, the town became named Williamsburg in honor of Jacob Ake's son, William. By 1810, 34 houses stood within Williamsburg. In 1820 an inn and distillery owned by, John Martin, were added to the town. Mr. Martin owned one slave. This is the only record of slavery for Williamsburg, PA. On November 28, 1832 the Main Line of the Pennsylvania Canal in Williamsburg, PA opened when the packetboat "John Blair" left Huntingdon, for the west. The Blair County Children's Home, established in 1902, was located in Williamsburg, PA for many years until it was destroyed by fire on Aug. 2, 1975.
Today, the borough consists of approximately 30 blocks, centered on High and Second Streets. As of the census of 2010, there were 4,185 people, 1,610 households, and 1,129 families residing within the borough.
Williamsburg, PA has a mayor and 7 member council form of government. The borough office is located at 305 E. Second Street Williamsburg, PA 16693 (814) 832-2051. Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Williamsburg Public Library opened on January 28, 1950. The library is currently located at 511 West 2nd Street Williamsburg, PA 16693 (814) 832-3367
Williamsburg Area Volunteer Fire Company Station 90 was established in 1900. The fire company started with a Chief, several hosemen, and a fire cart. In 1981 The Fire Department and Ambulance Service moved to its current location of 305 East 2nd Street Williamsburg, PA 16693 Non-Emergency;814-832-3338 and Emergency: 911
Some recreation areas in or near Williamsburg, PA are;
The Lower Trail, which is part of the Rails to Trails runs along the Juniata River.
The historic Royer Mansion, located 5 miles south of Williamsburg, PA along Rt 866.
Etna Furnace, located just north of Williamsburg in Catherine Township.
If you are approaching Williamsburg on Route 866 from the west, once you cross the Juniata River (Frankstown Branch) two natural landmarks can be seen on the left side of the road. One locally named, Indian Rocks, is a series of exposed ridges of tall chimney like stone formations. The other landmark is a flat rock outcropping locally named, Table Rock. A hiker standing on top of Table Rock has a spectacular view over the entire town of Williamsburg, PA. Native American legends are associated with these rock formations.
On the south side of Williamsburg is a large natural spring locally named, The Big Spring. This Spring is the reason Charles Schwab, the steel tycoon, built a paper mill in Williamsburg, PA. The Big Spring is a favorite photography location for many wedding parties.
Notable people of Williamsburg, PA.
Charles Schwab was born on Feb. 18, 1862 in Williamsburg, PA. At the age of 39 he became president of the US Steel Corporation. Near the turn of the 20th century, he was asked to assist with bringing manufacturing jobs to the borough of Williamsburg. He helped fund a paper mill that was built just outside Williamsburg, PA in 1903. The paper mill's final owner was Westvaco (West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company). It was closed in the 1970s and later demolished. Mr. Schwab also helped make the borough larger by building houses for some of the mill workers. This section of Williamsburg was called Schwabtown for some time.
Wilmer Stultz, a famous aviator, was born on April 11, 1900 at a farm along Piney Creek Road south of Williamsburg, PA. Wilmer, age 14, and his mother moved to Spring Street in Williamsburg after his father passed away. Mr. Stultz piloted Amelia Earhart across the Atlantic as a passenger, making her the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. In July 1928, Amelia Earhart accompanied Wilmer to Williamsburg, PA where they and Lou Gordon rode through the town of Williamsburg in a convertible with state police as escorts, and ending the event with a huge town welcoming celebration. Mr. Stultz died on July 1, 1929, in an airplane accident while stunt flying in Long Island, New York. Amelia Earhart attended Wilmer's Funeral in Williamsburg, PA. Wilmer Stultz is buried, with his wife, in the Presbyterian Cemetery near The Big Spring in Williamsburg, PA.
External Links for Williamsburg, PA:
Williamsburg Library -http://www.williamsburgpl.net/
Williamsburg Fire Department - http://www.wfdstation90.com/index.html
Williamsburg Borough Office - https://sites.google.com/site/williamsburgpennsylvania/home