Bellwood PA is a borough located along Route 865 just west of Interstate 99 along the Little Juniata River in Northern Blair County. In the early 1800's Edward Bell and his family settled in the area that would become Bellwood. Mr. Bell erected a gristmill and a saw-mill which would result in the area being called Bell’s Mills.
In about 1830 Edward Bell and his sons built the Mary Ann Forge, and the Elizabeth Furnace. When Edward's son Martin rebuilt the Elizabeth Furnace to be arranged in a manner to allow banking of the forge on Saturday night to allow for Sabbath Day keeping of the fire the small village would be dubbed "Sabbath Rest".
Expansion of the Pennsylvania Railroad would bring prosperity to the Bell's Mills area as it traveled nearby the village during the 1850's. A Carpet and woolen mill was built near the village by Colonol John Halfpenny in 1853.
Many new industrial businesses would begin to emerge as ore and mineral mining of the nearby mountains increased and the Bell's Gap Railroad would be created in 1872 providing further development for the village. The railroad followed the course of Bell's Gap Run and climbed eleven hundred feet above its starting point. During its height of operations the Bell's Gap Railroad carried as much as five thousand tons of coal daily.
In June of 1877 Bell’s Mills was officially laid out, under the direction and supervision of Dr. A. K. Bell to become advanced from a village into a town. The town streets were surveyed running parralel and intersection to the Pennsylvania RailRoad.
By 1882 only a few years before its incorporation into a borough, Bellwood contained about five hundred inhabitants, numerous businesses and four churches.
Bellwood was incorporated as a borough of Blair County in 1888 from parts of Antis Township. In 1893 the borough council passed an ordinance to provide water for use of the borough and all persons and corporations located therein. To this end, the borough purchased a piece of land over which Bells Run flows, some two miles above town where an intake was constructed and a system of water pipes was laid down to and along the streets. Electricity arrived in Bellwood in 1891 when the Bellwood Electric Light Co. was granted contract to furnish light to the borough.
Today the borough of Bellwood includes .5 square miles of land, many local businesses and churches and had a 2010 population of 1,812 people. Bellwood Borough Offices are located at 516 Main St, Bellwood, PA 16617. The phone number for Bellwood Borough Office is 814-742-8591.
External Links for Bellwood PA:
Bellwood Antis School District - http://www.bellwoodantis.net/
Bellwood Antis Library - http://bapl.lib.pa.us/default.aspx