During the 1830’s Samuel Lemon built a stone house tavern east of the Allegheny Mountain summit. Mr. Lemon and his family lived in the Lemon House from 1834 to 1847. The family operated the tavern serving canal workers, travelers of the Allegheny Portage Railroad as well as other travelers during that time. The average time for a canal boat to cross the entire Portage was 6-8 hours so many trips late in the day would stop here for the night. Samuel's sons took over the home after his death in 1867. Eventually the Lemon family lost owner ship of the home in 1907. The house passed through various owners and was kept in different stages of repair until acquired by the National Park Service in 1966. The Lemon House still stands today on its original location and is used as the park visitor center.
The Lemon House and the Allegheny Portage Railroad are one of 28 sites in Blair County listed in the National Register of Historic Places